It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: paar Links übern Tellerrand für Interessierte
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:51 pm 

gute 3Sat/ZDF Reportage über WoW und MMOs generell

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/inhalt/2 ... -5,00.html

Spielentwickler Neil Sorens Artikel

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20070 ... s_01.shtml

http://www.gamasutra.com/ -generell gute Basis für Spieleentwickler (auch jobs etc)

Post subject: PK / MMO Historie & massendiskussion (Darkfall Forum)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:50 am 

PK/MMO- Historie

Startpost mit anschließender Massendiskussion (Darkfall Forum)

Quote:
Let me preface this and say, it will be fairly long as I intend it to be fairly long. It may not be as long as I think it will be, if this happens it is because I had less to say than I thought I would!

UO The PK Paradise.

When UO beta started in summer ’97 it was unlike anything anyone else had ever seen before. Sure there had been NwN and DSO and M59 but these were small scale and ultimately they were just not comparable. It was total fuckin’ mayhem, PK guilds roamed the countryside killing everyone and everything. Inner Circle, ToC and TheMercs were big PK guilds in beta. We would sit outside Trinsic and slay everything. Then there was the utterly hilarious and highly publicized “Moongate Massacre” a story unto itself. Heading into retail, these guilds went to separate servers, but we were no longer alone, the growing number of pkilling guilds was staggering. On any server you went to you had “Those guys”, the guys you just didn’t frack with period cause they were a whole lot of bad news. Those of you paying attention are noticing a trend. You had two styles of player, Wolves and Sheep. The Wolves grew, previous sheep realized they too were wolves and cast off their fuzzy outerwear to become killers like us, Covetous Crew is just such an example.

UO The Wild Wild West.

UO fit every possible connotation the wild wild west can conjure, with the exception of bad teeth and six shooters. Anything went, exploitation, bugs, you name it and it was just part of the learning curve. While the number of Wolves began to grow, so too did the number of Sheep. The relentless murder of these people just never ended, for the killer, this was great. We’ve never had it as good as those early days, and we never will again.

UO The Education.

UO was an education, for players and developers. The collective pent up frustration from the millions of people murdered in UO had to be released somewhere, that somewhere was called Everquest. Developers attribute UO’s early success directly to the fact it was the only game of its kind. It had no competition. People had no choice. When Everquest released, there was no choice.

Everquest, The Choice, End of an Era and Psychological Gaming.

If there was better timing in the history of earth, I am unfamiliar with it. EQ released at the absolute perfect time. Hundreds of thousands of screaming people just trying to get by in their virtual world, mining or dragon slaying needed respite from the marauding pkillers flocked to EQ. They could continue to play in UO where we lived and hunted, or they could move to a PvP free environment. The choice was simple and obvious, we all know what happened. This marked the end of an era. Never again will pkillers have such unwilling prey. There will always be choice in the future. They will consent to give us their loot, or they will not. They may resist, but they will always make the decision to give it to us by picking a game that allows us the option to take it from them. Quick question: What does a monkey; a cage and a lever have in common with Everquest and all its clones? That’s right; it is a simple psychological experiment. Monkey hits the level, food comes out. The payoffs depend on how they decide to reward you, fixed rate, intermittent, etcetera. Essentially they are all the same, some slightly more effective. Next time you are killing mobs in WoW, you are no different than an animal in one of Skinners laboratories pressing a button for a pellet of food. Same principle as a slot machine by the way, effective and addicting.

UO, The Fall.

Let me backtrack quickly. There is no definitive date on when UO went to shit. There is a simple reason for this. UO went to shit over a very long extended period. For me, UO went to shit in late spring early summer 98, for other people it went to shit in 99 or perhaps even later. The explanation is fairly simple, first let me describe a setting for you. You are a farm boy; in your backyard is a silo, this silo is used for collecting shit. Your silo is only so big. OSI likes to dump its shit in your silo, sometimes they dump a lot of shit in your silo, sometimes they dump less, the rate of shit being deposited in your silo is however continuous . Eventually your silo fills up and you just can’t take anymore shit from OSI. If you started in 97, your silo probably filled up in 98, if you started in 99 probably in 2001. Some people however, either have massive silos and can take a lot of shit, or are just too stupid to realize that their silo is no longer full of shit, its covered in shit, Mount Shitverest has formed. As I said, I left in 98, most of the people from my generation in UO left around the same time, had we known that UO would be it; never again would we see such an environment perhaps we would have stayed longer. I don’t think any of us really realized the implications of Everquest immediately, nor did we understand what a backlash there would be against PvP, that really has only returned to the mainstream with WoW, if you can call what WoW has PvP…

Everquest, Attack of the Clones.

AO, SWG, DAOC, AC2, WoW. Clones. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. The question begs to be asked, Why? The answer of course is confusion over what made EQ successful, and the drive to duplicate it. Why else would Turbine, with a successful first generation MMORPG of their own in AC1, which was developed concurrently with Everquest try to replicate EQ with their sequel. These developers and publishers saw the success of EQ and set forth to copy and improve on it, or just slightly change it up. Daoc went for the EQ meets zergy pvp angle. AO went with the EQ meets future angle. SWG went with the EQ meets Starwars angle (How this didn’t make a gazillion dollars I don’t know, wait did George Lucas design it?) so on and so forth. Developers didn’t look at why EQ was so successful, they just saw that it was successful and copied its mechanics. The thought that EQ was successful because the PvE population of UO was in open revolt never crossed their collective minds I’d wager. There is less complexity in EQ and its clones, less immersion, less innovation. How is it possible, that a 2d game converted to 3d, Asherons Call, is the only major mmorpg to date to actually have REAL line of sight, and REAL projectiles for magic and missles? Finally we have the culmination of EQ in WoW, at least I hope so. WoW is everything EQ wished it could be, minus any sort of skill requirement. Im not saying EQ required a lot of skill, but WoW is dumbed down to the point that you could pass out on your keyboard, drool all over it, and wake up level 60 in full epic gear.

The PK Population Grows.

Since UO, with every single mmorpg that has released, a percentage of that community turns to the darkside. They become pvpers. When UO came out, there was a few hundreds PK’s, now there are tens of thousands. The one thing we can thank Daoc and WoW for is increasing this population. They have introduced mass pvp back into the mass market games. The more people pvping, the better, the more people who come to pvp the better, more people drives higher demand, eventually more publishers and developers will listen.

Honorable Mention and Warning to the Future: Shadowbane

So many promises, so few delivered. Ideas do not make a game, execution does. SB had ideas they had no execution. In the end it was a giant failure. It did however have a large following initially; hopefully this sparks the interest of some aspiring developers and a major publisher. The more PvP games on the market the better, competition drives innovation.

WoW, Possible Savior for PKkind?

WoW has refined EQ to such an extent, it would be foolish for any major developer to directly compete with WoW. WoW has the EQ clone genre locked down. What this means for us is, innovation. If developers want a piece of the market share, they have to find their niche. EQ2 failed, I predict Vanguard will fail as well. Darkfall has a pre-made market. If DF tries to go too mainstream, it will fail. If it doesn’t execute, it will fail. DF is in a tough place, but I have faith that they recognize they are not trying to attract 90% of the WoW population, just maybe 10%. 10% of 5 million is still a lot, and enough to call it a success in my humble opinion.

Final Thought.

This has been long and rambling. This post is more of a broad overview over why mmorpgs developed the way they did. I didn’t feel the need to bore people unfamiliar with UO and the changes that ruined it, because first, there are plenty of posts that do that and two you have almost 9 years of changes to list. Ultimately, I think in the next 3 or 4 years you will see the mmorpg community come full circle. We will never again see the glory days of early UO, there will always be choice from now on. What we will see is pvp reintroduced to mass market games. WoW has already started it. Someone else will continue it. Eventually you will see risk and reward added back in.

You will notice in this post a relatively obvious evasion of all things Darkfall. Why is this? It is not because I do not have faith. I do have faith. I often say things like, “hopefully soon a developer will start making a pvp game”, this is simple. I don’t dwell on individual games. Darkfall may release beta tomorrow, it may release beta in 3 years. If I woke up every day thinking “God damn when is Darkfall going to come out” I’d be wasting way too much time thinking about something that will happen when it happens. So once every couple months I check the forums, and cross my fingers a little new news has been released.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=17936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:17 am 

http://war.onlinewelten.com/articles,id ... tikel.html

Quote:
MMO Gedanken - Sandkästen sind tot

Ultima Online und Star Wars Galaxies, wohl die beiden besten Beispiele für sogenannte Sandbox Games. Während Ultima Online sich Häppchenweise ein wenig um den Sandkasten herum erweiterte und seit Jahren immer noch Spieler in seinen Bann zieht, wurde in Star Wars Galaxies der Sandkasten bis auf einen kleinen Teil komplett zubetoniert möchte man sagen. Spieler verschwanden daraufhin in Scharen und kaum eine Flop Liste im Bereich MMO führt das Spiel nicht in der Top5.

Auf die Frage, was man durch Star Wars Galaxies gelernt habe sagte John Smedley „Pure Sandkasten Spiele funktionieren nicht“ (mehr). Und wenn man sich die aktuellen MMORPG’s, welche auf dem Markt bzw. in der Entwicklung sind ansieht, muss man dieser Aussage wohl zustimmen. Die „Sandbox“ ist tot. Doch liegt dies wirklich daran das diese Spiele nicht „funktionieren“? Liegt es, gerade wenn man von SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) spricht, nicht eher an den Fehlern der Entwickler? Hat das Entwicklerteam von SWG nicht eher mitgeholfen damit der Sandkasten zu betoniert wird (mit großer Hilfe von SOE und dem Pochen auf einen zu frühen Release für das Spiel)?

Es wäre sicherlich interessant sich auszumalen was hätte geschehen können, wäre SWG dem Potential entsprechend nicht der große Flop sondern der große Hit geworden. Hätte es der erste wirkliche MMORPG Blockbuster sein können (noch vor World of Warcraft)? Wie hätten sich nachfolgende Spiele aufgrund dessen entwickelt? SWG hatte alles, was man für ein Blockbuster Spiel benötigt, leider wurde nichts davon richtig gemacht. Das Spiel selbst sah zwar für damalige Verhältnisse sehr gut aus, war jedoch technisch einfach miserabel programmiert. Das Spiel bot unzählige Möglichkeiten für einen Charakter, jedoch kaum etwas wusste den Spieler zu fesseln und Spaß zu vermitteln.

Was passierte haben viele, inzwischen ehemalige, SWG Spieler mitbekommen. World of Warcraft erschien am Horizont und wurde das, was SWG hätte werden sollen. Ein Blockbuster wie es ihn bisher bei MMORPG’s noch nie gab. SOE sah was sich da bei WoW tat, und schon kam es bei SWG zu entsprechenden Änderungen. Das Spiel wurde WoW angeglichen, verlor Pluspunkte gegenüber der Konkurrenz um deren Pluspunkte mehr schlecht als recht für sich nutzen zu wollen. Das Ende der Sandbox war eingeläutet.

Doch was ist eigentlich das besondere an einem Sandbox System? Kurz gesagt ist es genau wie der Name andeutet, ein großer Sandkasten in dem man spielen kann. Entwickler stecken in solch einen Sandkasten quasi „Förmchen“, mit denen der Spieler Dinge erschaffen kann. Ein Sandbox Spiel lässt dem Spieler sehr viel Handlungsspielraum, verlangt dafür aber auch ein höheres Maß an Eigeninitiative. In MMORPG’s die im Moment in der Entwicklung sind, ist dieser Sandbox Aspekt praktisch vollkommen verschwunden. Ein Spieler wird in eine Welt eingeführt, wird an die Hand genommen und bekommt das gesamte Spiel gezeigt. Sobald er diesen Weg gegangen ist stellt sich dann meist die Frage: Was nun?

MMORPG’s wie World of Warcraft oder auch das frisch erschienene Herr der Ringe Online, sind ähnlich aufgebaut wie frühere Multiplayer Titel. Man kann diese „durchspielen“. Man kann ein Ende erreichen, da man von Anfang an vom Spiel selbst geführt wird. Wenn diese Führung endet, endet für viele Spieler auch das Spiel. Man muss auf die nächste Erweiterung der Spielwelt warten, sich bis dahin immer und immer wieder die gleichen Dinge ansehen. Der Spieler hat zu keinem Zeitpunkt während seines Spielens die Möglichkeit aufgezeigt bekommen, etwas außerhalb des Weges tun zu können. Dies ist es, was die neue und viel gelobte Massentauglichkeit nun mal mit sich bringt. Das Spiel übernimmt das Denken, man selbst folgt nur dem Pfad.

Ich fühlte mich in den Sandkästen der MMO Welt schon eh und je am wohlsten. Man konnte abschalten, in eine andere Welt hineintauchen, jemand anders sein und dies genießen und dabei entspannen. Es war keine „Arbeit“ nötig um Spaß im Spiel zu haben. Man tat einfach was einem gefiel. Es gab nur wenige Einschränkungen (und die meisten technischen konnte man durch Phantasie ebenfalls umgehen). Wie gern erinnere ich mich an die Eröffnung meiner eigenen Bar. Etwas das in heutigen Spielen wohl nicht mehr möglich sein wird. Wieso sollte es auch? Es bringt ja nichts ein. Weder bekommt man neue und bessere Items, noch Erfahrung, Skills oder sonstige Belohnungen. Spaß als einziger Antrieb um etwas zu tun ist inzwischen nicht mehr genug und daher auch nicht berücksichtigt. Das Leute mehrere Monate in die gleiche dunkle Höhle marschieren um immer wieder die gleichen Gegner mit der gleichen Methode zu erledigen, damit sie vielleicht ein weiteres neues und noch mächtigeres Item erhalten zieht doch viel besser

Wer mehr arbeitet wird belohnt. Wer Spaß haben möchte und nicht arbeiten will, wird eher belächelt und ist in der Minderheit. Einen großen Drachen erlegen um danach mit Freunden darüber zu sprechen, das ganze als Abenteuer zu erleben, ist heute zu einem Automatismus verkommen. Den Drachen erlegt man ja eh jede Woche wieso darüber sprechen. Man spricht eher kurz darüber das der Drache nach 4 Monaten endlich DAS Item Preis gegeben hat, weswegen man bereits 4 Monate diesen armen Drachen immer wieder erlegt hatte. Macht das sich immer wiederholende in einem Spiel Spaß? Die meisten sagen ja das tut es. Würde man es tun wenn es keine Belohnung dafür gäbe? Die meisten würden einen für diese Frage wohl auslachen. Wieso sollte man denn 50 mal das gleiche tun ohne etwas dafür zu bekommen? Wenn sie wirklich Spaß daran hätten wüssten sie die Antwort darauf selbst. Solange sie sich aber weiter blenden lassen, werden wir wohl weiter MMORPG’s erleben in denen Arbeit angesagt ist und nicht der Spaß selbst im Vordergrund steht.

weitere Leseempfehlungen:

http://war.onlinewelten.com/articles,id ... index.html

- sontige Artikel

- MMO-Gedanken

Last edited by Herostrat on Tue May 15, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:54 am 

hero, ich lese alle deine links. ich freu mich auch immer besonders, wenn du die texte auch für nicht interessierte gerne mal komplett in den gchat postest.

mach weiter so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:54 pm 

Tudor wrote:
hero, ich lese alle deine links. ich freu mich auch immer besonders, wenn du die texte auch für nicht interessierte gerne mal komplett in den gchat postest.

mach weiter so!

hör nicht auf mea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:51 pm 

Auf den Punkt gebracht, wie es nur ein gleichgesinnter, alter Meridian59/UO/EQ Spieler bringen kann. (fett-gedruckt)

The State of The Union

Hellbent, my guild, is a relatively small group of friends, some of whom have known each other for over 10 years of gaming in the MMORPG community. Our history goes all the way back to Meridian59, however most ties were established in the golden age of original EQ.

We have played and tested many many games including the aforementioned EQ and M59. We have played or tested EQ2, AC, AC2, Planetside, DAoC, Horizons, AO, LoTRO, CoH, and WoW, among others. We spent a considerable amount of time playing on the Test Server as a guild (under a different name) for DAoC.

Our home for the past two to three years has been WoW.

We generally split our time between PvE and PvP. We've never been much for grinding. Unfortunately, the WoW PVE endgame for us has turned into exactly that. A grindfest. Grinding for materials, grinding for faction, grinding heroics for gear with a horrible risk vs reward balance. The saving grace for us has always been PvP.

Unfortunately, Blizzard has chosen a path for PvP that some of us find distasteful. They are pushing to turn WoW PvP into a professional e-sport and are completely abandoning the roleplaying-based PvP that the game was sold on. In short, there is no WAR in World of WARcraft. The only thing of importance now are arena matches, which is nothing but dueling in a confined and controlled enviroment for e-peen gratification.

We want PvP with a purpose. We want our wins and losses to have an impact on the gameworld around us. We want PvP in a world enviroment, not in some small arena.

Thus, we are in transition. We are stuck with a game that we are becoming increasingly disatisfied with, but possible salvation (Warhammer or AoC) lies a long ways off in the horizon.

We will be seeking to get into either beta, to see if they deliver what WoW has abandoned.

Warhammer Online

Age of Conan

Arena ansich, gut und schön. Für mich allerdings auch nur ein Notnagel in der derzeitigen jämmerlichen Sphäre des MMO-Marktes.

Die totale Auslagerung von PvP in instanziierte Arenen und Battlegrounds siedelt WoW weiter und weiter weg vom RPG als das es die Bezeichnung MMORGP tragen sollte.

Hallo Aufwachen,

WoW hat schon längst den Zusatz RPG im MMORPG verloren - wenn es diesen denn jeh hatte.

Es gibt keine große fantastische und vor allem veränderbare Welt, keine Politik, kein Territorialismus, keine Dynamik der Spielwelt, keine echten Helden/Abenteurer die ihre eigens einzigartig erlebten Taten erzählen könnten, keinen AlterEgo-Individualismus, keine Kriege, Funktion der Gilden & des Handwerks tangiert gen Null, keine Historik von Spielertaten, keine entsprechende Community, usw usw.

[..]

Für den Großteil gibs in WoW eh nur noch eine Entscheidung:

- Yogi-Oh sammeln (PvE & alle erdenklichen sonstigen Farmaktionen)

oder

- Arena Tournament (PvP ála CS, GuildWars, Ranking, eSports oder wie man es sonst umschreiben kann)

[..]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:06 pm 

Wieso MMOs ernsthafter shit sind Oo

http://www.seriosity.com/downloads/GIO_PDF_web.pdf

http://www.seriosity.com/downloads/Lead ... nd_IBM.pdf

http://www.seriosity.com/downloads/New_ ... e_Game.pdf

http://www.americasarmy.com/

http://www.gametomorrow.com/blog/

http://blogs.parc.com/playon/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:57 pm